The key takeaways from Thursday night's meeting are these:
- The goal for the club is to become a resource for all students interested in statistics.
- The club will pursue several avenues to get offer our members substantive real-world experience (resulting in things you could feasibly put on your CV).
- In addition to larger projects, the club will have guest speakers, workshops on statistical methods, and other things of interest specifically to our members.
In the grand scheme of things, this club is relatively new. There are many, many opportunities to get involved with leading the club and getting experience. Some things we need people for are;
- webmaster (create and maintain website)
- club internals (managing intra- and inter-club projects)
- coordinators for Industry and Academia related activities
- people to give talks (on internship/job experiences, statistical methods, etc.)
If you don't see something above that fits your skills but you still want to contribute: let me know! If you want to help, we'll figure out the best place for you.
If you have ANY questions or comments, please don't hesitate to email me. If you want to get involved, please email me.
Sometime before our next big meeting, we'll have a steering meeting for members interested in leading some of the projects/activities. Keep your eyes and ears posted for that.
Lastly, I would like for this to be a data-driven club, so here is a link to a survey. Feel free to answer it anonymously or to include your contact info at the end.
The slides used at the last meeting are here: Statistics Club Meeting Slides 2012-09-27 (.pptx).