One of the primary focuses of this blog is going to be the technology (software/hardware/devices/etc.) that I use to be productive. The first few posts I assume will relate to software on my laptop (and fixing issues). Now, because laptop configurations vary considerably, I'm going to post everything I can about my computer so that if others experience similar issues there is a greater likelihood of finding the solution. I have more than one computer, so posts that are primarily concerned with this computer will be tagged with "ThinkPad T420i".
Lenovo ThinkPad T420i Hardware (Model 4177-CTO)
- Processor: Intel Core i5-2430M processor (dual-core, 2.40GHz, 3MB Cache)
- Memory: 8GB PC3-10600 1333MHz DDR3, non-parity, dual-channel capable (two 204-pin SO-DIMM sockets) (It may be possible to upgrade this to 16GB based on some things I've read (sources later), but it is currently listed as 8GB as the maximum memory.)
- Chipset: Mobile Intel QM67 Express Chipset
- Screen: 14" screen supporting 1600x900 resolution
- Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 (integrated)
- Wireless: 1x1 11b/g/n, Wireless LAN PCI Express Half Mini Card, Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000
Lenovo ThinkPad T420i Software
- Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
- Scientific Linux 6.2 (64-bit) (SL is a Red Hat Enterprise Linux clone)
I'm currently trying to switch to Scientific Linux as my primary operating system, so there will certainly be some posts about overcoming issues I've experienced with this (slow) transition. I'll keep this list updated with changes or additional information (or corrections) as I find them.
Below are a few documents I've found on the Lenovo support website which list detailed information about this computer (and related ones). I've posted them here because locating them wasn't obvious on the Lenovo website and, as products age and are no longer supported, the supporting documentation has a habit of disappearing.